"Children are big souls in little bodies"
- Shakta Kaur
Happy Seed Yoga for Children Series combines yoga postures, dynamic movement, breathing exercises
and meditation from Kundalini Yoga and Hatha Yoga traditions; engaging children with fun games,
creative stories, and other age-appropriated activities; within an integrated and holistic
program of physical fitness, education and self-awareness that promote a state of well-being on all levels.
Our classes are adapted to meet motor skills and development of children; but within the grouping of children, there might be exceptions that will not fit into that category. Do not worry, the classes we offer are safe, fun and creative and children of all ages will find their fit within them!
Here are general guidelines we use with each group:
- Baby and Me: Parents do yoga with babies beside them or attached to them. Yoga for babies is very gentle and focuses on lubricating big joins, crossing mid-line of the body, gentle massage like movements. Crawlers are always practicing their own "brain" yoga by developing new connexions between the 2 brain hemispheres. For parent and baby is a great way to bond.
- Jelly Bean Yoga (1.5 - 4): With this group we use "See and Do" technique, as toddlers love to imitate their parents. It includes simple direction and exercises like stretching up, then touching the floor or spinning. We sing songs, play games and use their imagination (pretend to be animals) to develop coordination and awareness. We focus on movement more than the perfection of the poses.
- Growing Star Yoga (5 - 9): Here we have young children were imagination runs wild! We use stories throughout the class and work the yoga poses into them. Songs and games are play to develop intuition, self-awareness, trust and social skills. At this age they can begin to sit quietly and focus inward for few minutes, or be develop absolute stillness in deep relaxation.
- Teen and Tween Power (10 - 15): With this group we focus on building, body structure, inner and outer strength, concentration and flexibility as in adult classes, but relate to issues and themes that are of interest to Tweens and Teens, like teaching them about health and anatomy, how yoga and breath can help them in different situations in their day-to-day life (before exam, if feeling tired, etc). Classes are physically challenging and provide complete workout. We'll practice some meditation and occasionally partner yoga.
Some of the benefits of having children practicing yoga are:
- Increase motor coordination
- Reduce obesity
- Improve listening and ability to follow directions
- Better and longer sleep
- Higher self-esteem
- Easier relaxation
- Better self-expression
- Enhances body awareness, flexibility and strength
- Foster cooperation and compassion
- Build social skills
- Foster emotional growth and creativity
- Jelly Bean Yoga (2 - 6 yrs) - Fridays 6:00 - 6:45 PM
- Growing Star/Tween Power Yoga (7 - 12 yrs) - Saturdays 1:30 - 2:30 PM
- Growing Star Yoga (5 - 9 yrs) - Tuesdays 5:00 - 6:00 PM
- Jelly Bean Yoga (1.5 - 4 yrs) - Wednesdays 10:15 - 11:00 AM
- Teen and Tween Power (10 - 15 yrs) - Wednesdays 4:00 - 5:00 PM
- Happy Baby and Me - Fridays 9:30 - 10:30 AM